ZARA RAMSAMY
Image: SUPPLIED
A YEAR after 11-year-old Zarah Ramsamy was killed during a hijacking in Malvern, the community will hold a candlelight vigil to support her grieving family and honour her memory.
The family continues to seek justice while finding strength through faith and community support.
Zarah, who was in Grade 5, was killed when armed hijackers drove over her as they made their getaway in her mother’s Toyota Fortuner, on September 11, 2024, in Malvern.
The family had gone to buy fast-food after Zarah’s school concert when they were hijacked.
In an interview today (Thursday), her mother Shay Ramsamy said the past year had been a nightmare for her family.
“We are living through the strength of God. It gets harder each day. But we are taking it one day at a time. Our house is empty and quiet. Zarah was the light and life of this home. She was a bright and beautiful little girl. She was our only daughter and our pride and joy.
“My sons, who are now 15 and 17-years-old, are lost without their sister. They shared a close bond. Since her death, they have become very withdrawn and they do not want to speak about her death.
“We know that nothing can bring her back, but we are drawing strength from the Lord and His word,” Shay added.
She said despite her family’s forgiveness towards those who played a role in Zarah’s death, they still prayed for justice.
“We have forgiven her killers because God has taught us to forgive, and Zarah was an advocate for God’s word and the value of forgiveness. We want our seat in heaven so we can be with her. But we also want justice for her.
“We are praying for arrests and hanging onto our faith. It was shocking and devastating when the only person arrested in connection with the cruel crime walked free,” she said.
The Ramsamy family celebrated what would have been Zarah’s 12th birthday at the Ethelbert Children’s Home in Malvern.
“She would have turned 12 on June 6. To celebrate, we hosted a party at the children’s home, where twins also turned 12 on that day.
“We hosted a party for them and included all the children from the home. When I saw the cake, I had an anxiety attack. I thought of my baby, who was not there to enjoy her birthday. I thought of how she died, and the circumstances surrounding the hijacking. But I did not want to let the children down. I pulled myself together and went to the children’s home. When I got there and saw the excitement on their faces, I smiled through my heartbreak and was able to host the children,” she added.
Shay said she was grateful for the support of the CPF and the community, who have joined forces to host the candlelight vigil in honour of Zarah.
“It is heartwarming. We are grateful and appreciate their love and support. We are thankful to the CPF and the entire community who stood by us, prayed for us, and offered their love and support during a time where our world came crashing down on us.
“God heard the prayers of each and every person, and due to those prayers, we are still able to be here today of sound mind. We are looking forward to spending time with the people from our community and encourage them to come to the vigil, so we can all pray together,” added Shay.
Three weeks after the hijacking which claimed Zarah’s life, the Hawks arrested Constable Minenhle Makhaye from the Cato Manor SAPS, in connection with the case.
Makhaye, 27, was charged for being in possession of Shay’s bank card, which was taken during the hijacking.
On July 1, Makhaye, who spent nine months in prison after his arrest, walked out of court a free man when his case was struck off the court roll at the Durban Magistrate’s Court.
Kevin Pillay, chairperson of the Malvern Community Policing Forum (CPF), said the candlelight vigil was aimed at being a symbol of hope and comfort for Zarah’s loved ones.
“September 12 marks a deeply painful day in our hearts. Zarah’s death has left our community in mourning, and it is in moments like these that we must come together. We will honour her memory, stand in solidarity with her family, and ensure she is never forgotten.
“We call on every resident to join us in numbers for the vigil as we remember Zarah with love, prayer, and unity. Our presence and our candles will shine as symbols of hope, comfort, and strength for her loved ones. Together, we can light the darkness with love and keep Zarah’s memory alive in our hearts,” Pillay added.
The vigil will be held on September 12, outside the Church on the Move, situated at 42 Main Road in Malvern, at 7pm. Residents are encouraged to take their own candles along with them.
For more information, contact Kevin Pillay on 083 779 0444.
Related Topics: