E-hailing drivers gathered at the Phoenix police station to report their experiences after Saturday's incident.
Image: KZN E-Hailing Council
A BOLT driver was allegedly assaulted and held for R5 000 ransom after dropping off a passenger at Phoenix Plaza on Saturday, escalating tensions between e-hailing services and the taxi association.
The KZN Transport Department has condemned the attack and deployed a team to resolve the conflict, stating that no areas should be 'no-go zones' for e-hailing drivers.
KZN police spokesperson, Lieutenant Colonel Paul Magwaza, said Phoenix police were investigating a case of extortion and common assault.
“The driver’s vehicle was taken from him but later returned to him after police intervened. No arrests have been made so far,” he said.
Siboniso Duma, the MEC for Transport, said in a statement on Sunday that “in KZN, no area should be declared a no-go zone for e-hailing drivers, and their assault or murder would not be tolerated."
He said Sipho Mabika, the chairperson of the KZN E-Hailing Council, informed the department about the assault and that a team would be deployed to resolve the tensions.
“The victim was allegedly attacked by three individuals after dropping off a passenger outside the Phoenix Plaza. In addition, he was allegedly held at ransom at the offices of a local taxi association with members and their chairperson allegedly demanding R5 000 for the return of his car, which they confiscated.
“We condemn this attack, extortion, and any form of intimidation against Bolt drivers and any player in the e-hailing industry. I have assigned officials from the department to be closer to this matter and to work with the police to prevent any bloodletting,” he added.
Duma said the department’s Public Regulatory Entity (PRE) had worked with eThekwini Metro, the KZN e-hailing Council, KZN South African National Taxi Council, and SAPS in the past to resolve a similar conflict involving Bolt drivers and the Clermont KwaDabeka Taxi Association.
“We have a winning formula, which we must use so that we do not see the repeat of the KwaDabeka conflict. In particular, we must collectively work toward preventing the recurrence of ugly scenes that played out outside Maponya Mall last year.
“In KZN, no area should be declared a no-go zone for e-hailing drivers, and their assault or murders will not be tolerated. I have mandated a dedicated team from the department to discuss and ensure adoption of long-lasting solutions as part of ushering peace and stability within the public transport sector in Phoenix.
“The team will also be responsible for harmonising relations and ensuring co-existence between e-hailing drivers and taxi operators in Phoenix. They will ensure enforcement of law and order as part of strengthening the transport system and ensuring its safety, and they will update all stakeholders about the implementation of e-hailing regulations contained in the amended National Land Transport Act that recognises Bolt and other e-hailing platforms as part of the public transport system."
Duma said on Friday senior management of both the Department of Transport and the Department of Human Settlements met and agreed to use an integrated approach to ensure stability in the public transport sector.
He said they were planning an E-hailing Summit involving key role-players to address and resolve the issues and challenges.
In a statement on their Facebook Page, the KZN E-Hailing Council called on all e-hailing drivers who have been victims of assault, intimidation or extortion to open cases.
“From our previous engagement with the Phoenix Plaza centre management, we had requested for evidence that e-hailing drivers were being abused at their mall. The council's intention is to fight for e-hailing drivers to be allowed to work anywhere without harassment or abuse,” the statement read.
The Phoenix Community Policing Forum (CPF) said they welcomed the efforts of the transport department and the council.
“We welcome this step and urge that the matter be thoroughly investigated. The Phoenix CPF unequivocally condemns all forms of violence, intimidation, and harassment directed at transport operators, including e-hailing drivers, who are lawfully earning a living and providing an essential service to the community,” said Val Pillay, spokesperson for the Phoenix CPF.
She said they advocated for freedom of association and the right of community members to exercise their choice of transport without fear, coercion, or restriction.
“No individual should be threatened or assaulted for simply doing their jobs. It is particularly troubling that during these challenging economic times, individuals creating employment opportunities for themselves are subjected to threats to their safety and lives.