KZN e-hailing Council's Secretary General Sithembiso Khanyezi addressing e-hailing drivers outside SAPS Phoenix station.
Image: Chumani Mazwi
OVER 100 e-hailing drivers gathered at the Phoenix police station demanding protection from alleged assault and extortion by the local taxi association members.
Following a recent attack on driver Sphalele Gumede outside the Phoenix Plaza, the KZN E-Hailing Council secured commitments from police to address the ongoing intimidation that has plagued drivers since 2020.
The drivers called on police to deal with the “mafia style intimidation tactics” of assault and extortion, allegedly by the Phoenix Taxi Association.
Gumede was allegedly taken to the offices of the Phoenix Taxi Association, where he was beaten and extorted for money at the weekend.
Most of the drivers outside the police station told the POST that they too had been assaulted and money was extorted from them on more than one occasion.
Sipho Mabika, the Chairperson of the KZN E-Hailing Council, addressing the e-hailing drivers.
Image: Chumani Mazwi
Gumede said was saddened to see the number of e-hailing drivers who had suffered the same fate as him.
He said he was thankful that police were addressing the issue.
Sipho Mabika, chairperson of the KZN E-Hailing Council, said they were pleased that the management team at the Phoenix police station had addressed their issues and concerns.
He said police were searching for the three men related to Gumede’s attack, and had committed to closely monitoring the area, so that drivers could go back to work.
“Our drivers’ were requested to go to the police station should they encounter any assaults or extortion tactics. The Phoenix police gave us a mandate to operate and we can call them to attend if we encounter any issues.
“The police will meet with us again tomorrow to discuss a plan of action, so we can work safely as transport providers. A venue for the meeting will be announced on our social media pages,” Mabika said.
Spokesperson of the council, Patrick Ngcobo, said he too had been a victim.
“We are tired of the mafia style intimidation tactics by the Phoenix Taxi Association. We want to operate in peace and welcome healthy competition in the transport industry.
“On Friday, the same thing happened to me. I did not pay the R5 000 they demanded and left my car with them for the whole day. They eventually gave me back my keys. We are glad our voices are being finally heard,” he said.
Sithembiso Khanyezi, secretary of the council, said they were complying with the rules of the department and police.
“The problem starts when people exercise the law without having the authority to do so. All the money that was taken from us was unlawfully taken. We will collect all the information from the drivers, and whatever evidence we can get, and hand it over to police for their investigation.
“The police opened their hands and said they wanted to work with us. We should not be rushing to pay these people who intimidate us, and give them the upper hand to continue to extort from us.
“Police are on high alert to make sure we are not being extorted. They are ready to bring the perpetrators to book,” added Khanyezi.
Devandran Moodley, 51, an e-hailing driver for one year, said he had been stopped three times and intimidated.
He claimed he was extorted for R500 twice, after the taxi association members demanded R5 000 from him. He said he was “thankfully not assaulted”.
Kevin Kisten, 45, a driver for 10 years, claimed he first paid a “fine” of R2 700 to the taxi association after he was stopped and taken to the association's offices, and three men demanded R5 000 from him.
“I only had R2 700 and I was thankful that they let me go. We all have families and to feed. We are hoping to work in peace,” Kisten said.
A 37-year-old e-hailing driver said three of his ribs were broken after he was assaulted in 2021.
Image: Chumani Mazwi
A 37-year-old driver, who had been driving for eight years, said he lived in fear for his life, and he had to start driving due to him becoming unemployed.
He said the issue of e-hailing drivers being attacked was a problem that started just before the Covid-19 lockdown in 2020.
He said in 2021 three of his ribs were broken when he was accosted in his vehicle by three men as he was picking up an elderly woman at the Phoenix Plaza.
“I was assaulted three times, but the worst was in 2021. Three men took the elderly woman’s packets out of my boot and asked her to leave the car. They then drove my vehicle to the taxi association offices and demanded R5 000 as a fine.
“I paid R1 200. I opened a case but police told me three months later that they had lost the docket. The second time, I paid R500. The last time they stopped me was a week before Christmas. I pay them to avoid being assaulted. When I ask for a receipt, they swear at me. I work in fear, but I have no other choice, as there is no other way for me to earn an income,” he said.
The KZN E-Hailing Association can be contacted on 073 101 6990
Related Topics: