News

Video reveals truth behind deadly N3 crash

Reckless driver

Monishka Govender|Published

Miguel Govender with his wife, Deneshri, and son, Zaidan.

Image: Supplied

THE grieving family of Phoenix businessman Miguel Govender has found both clarity and renewed pain after leaked video footage revealed how a reckless driver caused the fiery crash that killed him and two employees.

As the video circulated on social media, Govender’s wife questioned why the identified culprit had not yet been charged.

Govender, 36, the owner of a printing company, was travelling to Pietermaritzburg on January 16  to carry out installation work for a courier company when the crash occurred on the N3, near Shongweni.

Govender and two of his employees were killed after their vehicle burst into flames.

The leaked footage, believed to be from Sanral cameras, showed a white Toyota, recklessly changing lanes, cutting into Govender’s path of travel, pushing him off the road.

Govender’s bakkie swerved across the centre median and landed on the oncoming lane where he crashed into a truck. The vehicle burst into flames as the white Toyota fled the scene. 

The truck also lost control and crossed the centre median into the northbound lane before rolling down an embankment.

Govender’s relative, Dr Brandon Pillay, described him as “a son, husband, father and brother, a dedicated family man and a loyal friend".

“Miguel lost his mum in 2024 and he was the breadwinner to his ailing father, sister, his wife and son. He was thriving in his business and started to build a reputable brand with his company.”

According to Pillay, the family initially faced conflicting accounts from bystanders and motorists about how the accident occurred.

“There were so many different versions of the accident. However, as a family we are thankful that the footage from Sanral has cleared up all other versions,” he said.

“Contrary to earlier reports on the day, the footage which has been leaked clearly showed a reckless driver who literally pushed Miguel off the road.”

Pillay confirmed that the police informed the family about the footage as part of the investigation and allowed them to view it.

He commended the investigating officer for acting swiftly in identifying and tracing the driver in the Toyota.

“We are hopeful that he will be charged and placed before court soon. Three lives were taken by the actions of one individual. We cannot understand why it is taking so long for him to be formally charged.

"The driver must be held accountable for his actions. He failed to stop immediately after the accident. I am sure he is well aware of what he did. It pains us so much to know that one person who was so reckless is still roaming around freely after destroying three families.”

Pillay said their trauma had been compounded by the circulation of the graphic video on social media, including footage of the burning vehicle.

“On the day of the accident, there were many videos on social media, some even showed the vehicle on fire. In one video, someone is heard saying ‘that the guy is burning’,” Pillay said.

“All this was shared while the family was not even aware of the accident, let alone that their loved ones had died. I have to express my disappointment. It is purely inhumane for anyone to be sharing such videos and images. It is insensitive and traumatising for the family,” said Pillay.

He said he had contacted the administrator of a Facebook group where the leaked footage was posted, but had not received a response.

“We were told by the authorities that the footage was not shared, yet we found it on Facebook. This video is now in the public domain. While it shows exactly what happened on that fatal day, it is painful for family members to watch it. They have to relive how tragic and horrific the accident was.

“What was even more painful was that the two employees, Isaac and Lucky, were burnt beyond recognition. Their funerals could not take place immediately. DNA tests had to be conducted before the families were able to give them a dignified send-off,” Pillay said.

“When we first arrived at the mortuary, we did not know what to expect. We were told we might also have to do DNA tests for Miguel. That caused further trauma. However, after showing his pictures to staff, they confirmed it was Miguel. His face was clearly visible, as well as his tattoos. We had to wait until the post-mortem was conducted.”

Pillay said the emotional scars remained.

Pillay commended the investigating officer for acting swiftly. 

Miguel’s wife, Deneshri Govender, shared the harrowing timeline of the day her life was shattered.

“The last time I spoke to Miguel was on Friday at approximately 7:30am. When he did not return my calls throughout the day, I assumed he was occupied with work.”

At around 4pm, she checked his WhatsApp location and realised he had not arrived at his scheduled site. She began contacting clients, his sister, and friends. Reports of an accident had circulated, but she was unaware it was in Shongweni.

“After several calls, I was advised to go to the Hillcrest police station at approximately 6pm. Upon arrival, the officer informed us that there had been an accident in which three individuals had tragically lost their lives and were burnt beyond recognition.

“The moment we received the news was indescribably painful. In an instant, our lives changed forever. I lost my husband, my child lost his father, and his sister lost her brother. It felt as though our entire world had stopped.”

Deneshri said she was unable to go to the crash scene, and later viewing the footage was deeply traumatic.

“No one should ever have to witness something like that involving a loved one. It brought overwhelming feelings of pain, anger, and confusion. The footage raised further questions for us. It has not brought closure. If anything, it has intensified our need for answers and accountability,” she said.

“Our family hope that justice will be served.”

Deneshri described her husband as the pillar of their home.

She said he was loving, generous and deeply devoted to his family and friends.

“He would go out of his way to help others, often giving even when he had little. He was a devoted Murugan bhakti and a man of strong faith. We had his chariot in our yard prior to his passing, which reflected his deep spiritual commitment.”

As the investigation continues, the family said their focus remained on seeking justice and preserving Govender's legacy.

“While his arrest will not bring back our loved ones, it will send a strong and clear message that you must be held accountable for your actions. For now, all we have are the cherished memories of Miguel,” said Deneshri. 

The POST