The families of the victims demand justice for their loved ones.
Image: Supplied
Aldane Donnelly, accused of a gruesome triple murder in Camperdown, has been declared mentally fit to stand trial.
Donnelly appeared in the Camperdown Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, where the court learned a psychiatric evaluation had been completed.
According to evidence presented by the district surgeon in court, Donnelly does not require a 30-day mental observation period and is capable of understanding court proceedings and standing trial.
Donnelly has been charged with the murders of Balan Pillay, 45, Clive Anthony, 69, and Kenneth Nichols Halgryn, 46. It is alleged the killings stemmed from a dispute over wages.
Aldane Donnelly
Image: Supplied
The bodies of the three men were found earlier this month at Donnelly’s workshop in Umlaas Road.
It is alleged the victims were found lying face down, side by side inside a room on the property. Their pants had allegedly been lowered and pipes had been inserted into their buttocks.
The matter was adjourned until June 22 for further investigation.
During the next appearance, the magistrate is expected to determine whether the case should proceed in the regional court or be transferred to the high court.
Family members of the victims said they were relieved by the findings of the mental assessment.
Balan Pillay's brother, Yergan Pillay, said the outcome was an important step toward justice.
“We were glad to hear the district surgeon say the accused is fit to stand trial. I will not say the feeling is great since we did lose Balan but it is a move in the right direction for us to receive justice,” he said.
“The state proving he is fit means he must face the consequence of all three men’s brutal murders. There is clearly nothing wrong with him. He knew he was committing murder. I am glad we have received huge support from the community and the broader public. We just want justice.”
Anthony's niece, Vernal Augustus, said her family hoped the matter would soon be escalated to the High Court.
“Our family is happy with the outcome. We want this case to go to the high court soon so he can face life imprisonment for these murders. We will not stop fighting for my uncle. He deserves justice,” said Augustus.