Matric examination cheating appears to be on the increase in KwaZulu-Natal.
About 2 000 candidates - 140 (or seven percent) more than the 2002 figure - face disciplinary action by the department of education.
Hearings, which will begin on Monday, are expected to be concluded by February 15.
The results of the affected pupils, meanwhile, have been withheld.
Chief director of Examinations and Quality Assurance, Dr Morgan Naidoo, said the department dealt with examination irregularities every year after results had been released.
He said of the 2 000 candidates who faced disciplinary action, 50 percent were caught copying by invigilators at the examination centres. Others apparently had crib notes and other material to assist them.
"During the marking process markers discovered a similarity in the answers in certain exam scripts that indicated the possibility that students had copied.
"A number of those suspected of cheating were part-time candidates."
Naidoo said a disciplinary committee comprising education officials would sit for the hearing from Monday.
"Candidates who are being investigated have the opportunity to present their cases before the committee. Adults may have their legal representatives present and minors must attend the hearing with their parents."
If found guilty candidates would be barred from writing the exams for two years.
In the more serious cases, criminal prosecution could follow.