Lungi Ngidi will hope to rekindle the form he showed in the WTC Final after being called up to the Proteas Test squad in India.
Image: AFP
“Maybe Shuks missed a trick.”
It’s not often that Proteas coach Shukri Conrad is not on top of his game, but these were Kagiso Rabada’s words prior to the Test series against India. Rabada was, of course, humorously referring to the absence of his long-time new-ball partner Lungi Ngidi and the value he could possibly add with his cutters and slower balls on the subcontinent tour.
Little did Rabada know that Ngidi would be sent an SOS to fly over to India as backup for him after the Proteas’ premier fast bowler sat out the first Test in Kolkata with a rib injury.
With the Proteas enjoying two days of extra rest after the Eden Gardens Test finished in three days, Ngidi was able to join the team in Kolkata before their scheduled departure to Guwahati on Wednesday.
Rabada has not been released though and will travel with the squad to Guwahati, where the Proteas will be hoping he can return to the line-up to aid the visitors’ bid to win their first Test series in India for 25 years.
Previously, Conrad had said, “you want to give him the best chance of being ready,” while also admitting that he will take guidance from the big fast bowler because, “when KG tells you I'm not ready, then you better believe him.”
Ngidi has only played three Tests since the New Year Test against India in Cape Town last year, but was surprisingly recalled for the World Test Championship final against Australia at Lord’s where he delivered a match-changing spell in the second innings.
He has though been active in the white-ball formats, having played in both the ODI and T20I series in Pakistan recently, and for the Titans in the CSA T20 Challenge last week.
Conrad has seam bowling options in all-rounders Marco Jansen, Corbin Bosch and Wiaan Mulder, while left-arm spinner Senuran Muthusamy is also part of the squad. The ACA Stadium’s surface is an unknown quantity though, with the northeastern Indian venue yet to host a Test.
Conrad admitted that he had come close to playing Muthusamy at Eden Gardens already and will consider his options once the team reaches Guwahati.
“The temptation was always there to play the third spinner in Senuran, who just came off a previous series as Player of the Series. So, it was never a simple task. And he offers you something with a bat,” Conrad said.
“But again, you've got to believe something. So, you believe the trends that the new ball could still do something (in Kolkata). And you've got to respect the opposition new ball because they've got world-class performers.
“I'm going to need some inside tips here as to what I can expect in Guwahati as a wicket. Hopefully, I can see for myself what Guwahati is like.”
The Proteas management have also confirmed Jansen and Eden Gardens Player of the Match Simon Harmer are “good to go” after social media reports indicated the duo had checked into Woodlands Hospital in Kolkata for a health checkup this week.
The second Test starts on Saturday at 5.30am.
Related Topics: